shower confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

i know this is probably in old threads somewhere but i can't find what i'm looking for so appologies if this is boring basics for most.
i was under the impression that all showers circuits should be 10mm cable and 45 amp MCB (or 50 amp if over 10.3 kw)
I am now questioning this because our new/first house is supposed to have been rewired professionally about 10 years ago and the circuit is 6mm cable with 32 amp MCB (shower is either 7.5 or 8.5 KW. not sure which as model came in 2 powers and label no longer on shower unit).
This came to light because i want to replace the battered old wall mounted shower switch located in hallway outside bathroom. Questions are:

1) are cable and mcb ok / comply as they stand?

2) if existing set up is ok but i replaced the shower in future, what would be the maximum kw rating i could fit while retaining 6mm cable?

3) can i double check that wall mounted shower switches are still ok provided they are located outside the bathroom, or will i have to replace with a pull cord switch?

4) am i correct in saying that the amp rating of the new switch i'm fitting should match that of the mcb? (in this case 32 amp, again assuming existing set up is ok)

Thanks in advance for any help and taking the time to read this lot!

Sponsored Links
1) are cable and mcb ok / comply as they stand?
7500 ÷ 240 (which is what the rating would have been based on) = 31.25A
8500 ÷ 240 = 35.42A.

So it depends...

6mm² is OK for 32A unless it runs through really thick insulation.

2) if existing set up is ok but i replaced the shower in future, what would be the maximum kw rating i could fit while retaining 6mm cable?
7.5kW, if you could find one.

3) can i double check that wall mounted shower switches are still ok provided they are located outside the bathroom, or will i have to replace with a pull cord switch?
They're fine.

4) am i correct in saying that the amp rating of the new switch i'm fitting should match that of the mcb? (in this case 32 amp, again assuming existing set up is ok)
It can be higher - you might as well put a 45 or 50A one in, ready for when the circuit is rewired with 10mm²...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back