SHOWER CONNECTION TO SHOWER HOSE - two tubes ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 6 year old was twisting the hose in the shower. It seems to have come away from the main unit.

I tried to tighten but now it splurts out from the main unit where it connects to the hose.

The wierd thing is though it has two tubes sticking out - one is a white plastic connector with screw thread (looks like cold water) and the other is a small see through plastic tube on the outside of the white connector (hot water).

My question is - should the see through pipe be inside the white screw thread connector ?????

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I have two tubes sticking out of the unit - which doesn't look correct ???

My question is , has the small hot water tube come out from where it connects into the white screw thread outlet from the shower unit - which then connects to the hose ?? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Is this an Triton electric shower by any chance?

If so then the small clear plastic tude is the Pressure Relief Device discharge tube. It does not connect to the shower hose. If there is water coming from this pipe then you will need to replace the PRD - they are not repairable.

It is a Triton Opal 9.5 KW electric shower and yes, water is coming out of the small clear plastic tube

What is a PRD :?:

PRD = Pressure Relief Device (as per my first reply ;) )

This is a safety device that will blow (rather like a fuse) when the flow through the shower (caused by a six year old twisting the shower hose :oops: ) is reduced. You will need to obtain a new one from Triton.

Sounds about right giblets !!! :rolleyes:

Next question - can a DIYer replace the part or do I need someone with a bit of experience ?

Not a problem. 2 small screws hold it in place. However, you will need to remove the cover of the unit so turn off the leccy (not just at the isolating switch but at the fuse board as well). No need to turn of the water to the shower though as the PRD is on the outlet side of the unit.

Whilst you are on to Triton you had better order a new hose as the 6 y-o may have damaged the inner core of same. Do not be tempted to get a new hose from B&Q, etc as it will not be the same internal diameter and as soon as you fit it the PRD will fail again.

You are a STAR :D

Many thanks for all your help Giblets. Will let you know how I get on.

I LOVE THIS SITE !!!! :D

PS. I won't be blaming my son, the hose was pretty well past its best - should have replaced it ages ago !!! -

PS. I won't be blaming my son, the hose was pretty well past its best - should have replaced it ages ago !!! -

That may have been the main cause of PRD failure - son only assisted in the demise. :LOL:

Hello, particularly to Giblets ( :D )

Got the new PRD and Hose over the internet - recieved in 24 hours.

Followed your instruction Giblets and hey presto the shower works again !!!.

The PRD sounds amazing. However, it's just a little bit of plastic with a tube and a small plastic ball in it !!! Anyway, I now see why once it goes it has to be replaced. The pressure builds up enough to force the ball out of the tube so stopping the heating can from bursting - clever really !!

Anyway, many thanks to Giblets (:cool: ) who has saved me loads of time and money - Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back