Shower cut off/timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got teenage son who, despite, umpteen warnings is still inclined to spend ages in the shower and use all the hot water.

As you can tell, we've got a hot water tank rather than combi boiler. Tank is in airing cupboard next to bathroom.

Would there be a cut-off from the pipes into the shower? Its either that or take the locks off the bathroom door to stop the little ****e.

Of course, better still would be a timer which limited max use of the shower.

Sponsored Links
Well he’s obviously having a tug.
I’d sit him down at the dinner table and tell him if he wants to have a **** that’s fine but if he uses all the hot water there’s not enough time for you or his Mum to do the same.
That should make him think.

What’s wrong with teenagers anyway. When I were a lad (I’m only 32) what my dad said went. So maybe if the conversation doesn’t work smack ‘im.

You could install isolation valves on the pipes or if the power switch is accessible (assuming is a power shower) switch that off. But you shouldn’t have to **** about with that. Who pays the bills in this house you or him?

Sponsored Links
Well he’s obviously having a tug.
I’d sit him down at the dinner table and tell him if he wants to have a **** that’s fine but if he uses all the hot water there’s not enough time for you or his Mum to do the same.
That should make him think.

What’s wrong with teenagers anyway. When I were a lad (I’m only 32) what my dad said went. So maybe if the conversation doesn’t work smack ‘im.

You could install isolation valves on the pipes or if the power switch is accessible (assuming is a power shower) switch that off. But you shouldn’t have to **** about with that. Who pays the bills in this house you or him?

Aye. I agree. Wish I could smack the little ****e....

I'm sure he's no worse than you were (though your memory may have selectively edited your past).

because it is relevant to how much hot water it contains, and how quickly it can reheat if allowed to go cold.

OK. Not sure of size but its pretty big. Colour - I'll gave to check.

It does reheat in about an hour or so....

Have a google, something like this.
http://www.showermanager.com/conservation-store/shower-timer-home.shtml
Or
HAG_eg103.jpg

Forget the photo, can`t seem to edit it now, maybe talk to an electrican?

Last edited:
A timer like the one shown, controlling a solenoid valve on the hot supply only would give a cold shock to an overstayer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back