Shower electrics in surface mount conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Had and electriction round this weekend to price an electric shower. As the bathroom is all tiled on solid walls he sugested running the cable in surface mount conduit so as not to have to dig holes in walls ect.
Sounds fine to me, but is this allowable, does the guy know what he is talking about.
Thanks for any help offered

Sponsored Links
It is quite common to use TRUNKING (not conduit) to neatly take a cable to a shower if the cable was not previously burried.

It is also fairly common to use something like MMT4 or 5 to enclose both the pipe and cable for a short length.

Hi Steve,

...You say " does the guy know what he is talking about".

You say he was an Electrician so why doubt him ?

..If you went to see your Doctor and he said you had a cold.would you post on a Medical site stating "does the guy know what he is talking about"/
I hope for your sake he is not a member of this Forum otherwise you wont be likely to see him again !

Sponsored Links
lectrician, nothing wrong with CONDUIT either.. might look better than YT2 stuck to the wall.. just another pipe entering the shower..

Hi Steve,

...You say " does the guy know what he is talking about".

You say he was an Electrician so why doubt him ?

..If you went to see your Doctor and he said you had a cold.would you post on a Medical site stating "does the guy know what he is talking about"/
I hope for your sake he is not a member of this Forum otherwise you wont be likely to see him again !
Sorry, There was no disrespect intended to the guy. I was just thinking to my self with all that water about would trunking be ok.
Just because it has doctor on the door dont mean he is always right. Regs change ect people get it wrong now and then.

my dad's doctor told him that having fallen off a rough terrain fork lift and bruised his ribs, his chest pain was just indigestion..
at 2am that night mom took him to hospital as he still had pain and they told him he was having a heart attack..
so yes, I think that even doctors can get it wrong and always ask for a second opinion now.. even for a sprained ankle..

EDITED to correct spelling errors.. must use the spell check..

my dad's doctor told him that having fell off a rough terrain fork lift and bruised his ribe, his chest pain was just indigestion..
at 2am that night mom took him to hospital as he still had pain and they told him he was having a heart attack..
so yes, I think that even doctors can get it wrong and always ask for a second opinion now.. even for a sprained ankle..

Well put.

lectrician, nothing wrong with CONDUIT either.. might look better than YT2 stuck to the wall.. just another pipe entering the shower..

I personally think that is a bodge. You cannot terminate the conduit neatly for a start.

Some trunk with both the pipe and cable is the neatest way IMO.

you can terminate conduit a damn sight cleaner than YT2.. it even has ends specially for it ;)

It's exactly as you have described in my house, no problems, actually looks quite neat. Certainly a better option than gouging your nicely tiled walls.

you can terminate conduit a damn sight cleaner than YT2.. it even has ends specially for it ;)

What are you going to terminate the conduit into with your conduit adaptors?

Sorry, no, conduit is not the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back