Shower extractor fan issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can somebody suggest a solution for me? I installed a monrose shower kit, probably the second time. I have just been up in the loft and the loft insulation is sopping wet as is the hardboard around the extractor fan. I lifed up the tubing and tons of water then fell back into the shower.

It seems to me that the roof outlet is too high, the condensation goes up the tubing, hits the loft cold air, turns back into water and then settles in the excess tubing and, worse still, seeps through the hole in the tubing where the electric cable goes to allow the tubing to have a flush fitting on the fan. Does that make sense?

Solutions seem to be, shortening the tubing either side of the fan so its almost at a such an angle that surplus water falls back into the shower or perhaps not bothering with this set up and putting an extractor fan in the bathroom wall, as the walls are solid breezeblock then this may be too destructive a solution?

Im opening the window for a week in the bathroom with no extractor fan on to allow it to dry out up there but can anyone suggest a solution, it seems to be an ongoing problem in this housei reckon judging by the water stains on the loft wood.

Matt

Sponsored Links
That's one hell of a lot of condensation.....is there any possibility that the roof terminal is letting rain in?
If not, then you can fit an in line fan (within the trunking itself) but I'd be inclined to go straight through the bathroom wall to outside.....the trunking wouldn't be very long and there's no chance of condensate in there.
John :)

No I checked the outlet, its fine and no dampness in the tubing on the outlet side of the extractor fan.

I found a photo from a previous post of mine re the roof (unrelated problem) which shows part of the problem (I think). The extractor fan is just above the shower and out of sight. You can see the excess tubing (from shower to extractor fan) just lying around probably condensing all the water vapour I reckon.

I'm think if I shorten the tubing then I'd have an almost vertical operation, would that solve it? Else you may be right and a bathroom extractor may be the way forward.

Sponsored Links
Definitely get rid of that excess trunking and keep the run as short as possible.....you could even wrap some cosywrap insulation around the pipe if there's any lying around!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back