shower fed with cold mains and pumped hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a small flat and am planning to install a thermostatic shower valve with a shower pump. Currently all the cold water supplies to the cold taps are sourced from the cold mains supply, thus providing good flow. Unfortunately, the hot water pressure at the taps are very low due to both the cold cistern tank being just below ceiling level and only about 30 cm cubed in size.

Is it feasible to connect a cold mains supply and a pumped hot water supply to a thermostatic shower valve?

I live on the 3rd floor, what is the minimum pressure pump do I need for this set up ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The instructions for your shower will state the minimum water volume/pressure required for it to work. Check the pump ones also as they should say minimum water volume/presure requirments. Be carful though if you pump hot water out of your cylinder faster than it can be replaced by the tank above then it could implode. :evil: Not a desirable situation. If you need clarification the you can contact the manufacturers. This may sound drastic but have you ever thought about an unvented cylinder, this would deliver hot water at a similar pressure to your cold water. This would need to be installed by a professional though.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks Gasman

The problem that I will foresee, is that the small cold water tank will not be sufficient to source both the hotwater cylinder and cold water to the shower valve, even for the smallest pump. The problem with going with a pumped hotwater and cold mains is one of water regulation issues.

The only way would be to either use a normal electric shower unit or install a much larger water tank....which the property developer should have used in the first place...but than the cold water is currently sourced from the mains...darn !

thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back