Shower fuse triping - need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have had an electric shower in my house for around 1 year now and have had no probs with it, suddenly a few weeks ago the fuse trips causing the shower to turn of after only 3 mins or so which causes a prob if u got shampoo in yr hair! does anyone have any ideas? do i need to buy a new replacement fuse?

thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
It's more likely to be a faulty shower than a faulty fuse. Is the 'fuse' an RCBO (like a standard circuit breaker but with an RCD built in)? It'll have a test button on it if it is.

Unfortunately, leakage to earth is a common failure mode in electric heaters and it sometimes only shows itself after the thing has been hot for a few minutes. :( :( :(

I can think of no simple test that will pinpoint the culprit without buying either a new breaker or a new shower. If you have another identical breaker in the CU you could swap the loads over but opening a CU is not a job to be taken on lightly. :!: :!: :!:

Is it an RCD that's tripping, or is it a circuit breaker?

If it's an RCD, then it could be an earth fault,
If it's a breaker, it could be an over-current fault.

If it's a breaker, do you know the power rating of the shower, and the rating of the breaker that is tripping?

Sometimes showers are working right on the edge of the rating of a breaker, and eventually it begins to show.

You can't change a breaker without considering all the characteristics of the circuit you are working on. The cable size, cable length and where and how the cable is installed are among the factors that must be considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back