Shower going cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm knew to this forum and DIY so please be gentle .

Recently my shower has been going cold about 1-2mins after initially heating up. It then seams to continue in this cycle. The wife says that the kitchen sink tap occasionally does it to but I've tested it and it hasn't done it.

The strange thing is when I run a hot water tap ie kitchen, then put the shower on, the shower does not go cold. As soon as I turn off the tap the shower goes cold.

I've had a plumber around and he thinks it's the shower thermastat. Could it be this?

FYI: Have a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler and the shower is a gainsburough ambassador mixer shower.

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

So I just tested this.

It clicks on and off throughout the shower being on. Sometimes taking 3mins to click back on on.

When running a hot tap it does not click off.

Take the shower head off and see if it works ok. Sounds like the flow is too low to light the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks denso13.

That's seemed to have solved the problem. It did click off once after 4mins but when the temp stared to drop it kicked in again.

Do I therefore need to get a new shower head or just clean the current one? Doesnt look blocked or grimey.

You could get a higher flow shower head (low pressure). When was the boiler last serviced?

I just tried a different shower head I have laying about. Seemed much better. It did click off twice then seemed to click back on almost instantly.

Now giving them both a good clean and will try again before buying another head.

It was serviced 2 weeks ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back