Shower help required please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My consumer unit has just been replaced. It is a 'Hager' 10 way unit which has an incorporated 100A isolating switch. I have four spare slots. The rest incorporate mcb's.

I would like to install a 9.5kw electric shower. The 10mm wiring is already run.

My question is this: I appreciate that the shower will require an RCD, but does it need this in addition to an MCB (ie does it need two seperate things)?

I would preferably like to contain it all within the excisting CU. Is this possible? Can I get one device (RCD + MCB combined) to go in my CU as opposed to fitting a seperate shower supply unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Who replaced your CU and DIDN'T fit an RCD to protect sockets anyway?I'd suggest you need a proper electrician for this job - if nothing else the work is in a "special location" under part P......

Use one of these "Hager" 40a MCB/RCD (RCBO) Available from various electrical outlets :)
images

Thanks Paulh53. So just to confirm, this does do the job of both?

Sponsored Links
Yes, It's a combined MCB & RCD, And only takes up the space of a single MCB in your consumer unit,

Harro - do you live in a house or a flat? If a flat, is it on the ground floor?

Basically, do you have any sockets which might reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors?

Who fitted your CU and when?

If it was done this year, did he give you any installation certificates?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back