Ideas for alternative shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I 2x7.5kw electric showers protected by combined mcb/rcd devices and have found that one of the rcd devices is faulty - it keeps tripping but the fault follows the mcb/rcd device when moved to the other shower!

The main problem is that I cannot get hold of another combined mcb/rcd device for my (obselete) squared quickline consumer unit.

Does anyone have a view on fitting an external combined rcd/mcb device, but feeding it off a mcb from the main CU, as I dont think the CU has any chaining ability?

Thanks

nick

Sponsored Links
You can try http://www.thefusecompany.com/index.php?cPath=54 and see if they have the device you want but fitting a second consumer unit for just two circuits seems the only way to get away with not replacing whole consumer unit. Since the consumer unit you say is obsolete then to feed with a MCB is of course out and only way to fit second consumer unit would be to use a henley block and isolator and I am not convinced this would work out much cheaper than changing whole consumer unit.

Hi Eric,

Not sure about the CU being about the same/cheaper as this would involve changing over my other mcbs to a newer type.

All I was thinking of doing was to get a external rcd and take a CU mcb output to the live input of this device and then extend the neutral and earth from the main CU strips.

Being a telcoms engineer this makes sense, but not sure if its correct procedure!

You seem to be talking about taking this back to the main feeds with talk of henley blocks?

Thanks for your help.

nick

Sponsored Links
Hi Eric,

Not sure about the CU being about the same/cheaper as this would involve changing over my other mcbs to a newer type.

All I was thinking of doing was to get a external rcd and take a CU mcb output to the live input of this device and then extend the neutral and earth from the main CU strips.

There would be no problem in breaking in to one of the shower supplied and adding an RCD there, it's just not very elegant is all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back