shower is leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a shower that is in the bath. Its is one of those showers where the shower panel concertinas up. Whoever installed it (it was there when I bought the house), hasnt fixed it so the bottom of it is close enough to the bath's edge. Whenever I have a shower, the water leaks from beneath the shower panel and the bath. Is there some sort of rubber strip I can buy to prevent this form happening? Or is it easier to to fit the panel about 1cm down?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a shower screen seal in place already? If not search "shower screen seal" on ebay or google. Get the right size.

Hi Dizz, it doesnt look like theres a shower screen seal in place. Below are a couple of images that will demonstrate the situation better than I can describe it.

img3.JPG

img4.JPG

Should there be a rubber seal in that groove running along the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Yes that looks like the one - if you take a look at the very end of the panel, there should be two little plastic bits that you can remove before inserting the seal - the plastic bits may have fallen out, they often do, but you should see the profile similar to the ebay listing to see how it fits in.

Ive taken a few more photos. There is a plastic bit at the end, but it refuses to come off.
img5.JPG

img6.JPG

This is the other end of the screen, and the end plastic bit doesnt seem to want to come off either.
img7.JPG

img8.JPG

Does the seal need to be cut off to measure each panel, or does it bend when the screen concertinas up?

The seal should feed through all of the concertinas in one go without cutting otherwise it wont make a proper seal. It looks like that end piece might be screwed in at the bottom? If the seal you linked to is the right one, you should see a circular hole which to thread the seal into your panel - that stops it falling out, then it should be cut, and then the end piece put back on (if the end piece actually comes off) The flatter piece of the seal should be resting on the bath.

Thanks for your help Dizz.
Yes, I thought that plastic bit might screw off, but I dont recognise the head (its not a phillps or an allan key jobbie). It turns around 360 degrees and looks like it should latch on to something. It obviously has a purpose, I just dont know what!
Ill investigate further and make another post if thats OK. Thanks for your assistance.

I have a nasty feeling that there might be a piece of the screen missing in addition to the seal (which is definately missing!). I am pretty sure I have the same screen at home, but in white, and stuck/bonded on the top of the bath should be a rail. The bit on the end of the screen locks in place into the rail making the screen fixed/rigid and watertight. The rail is about 10 - 12 mm high which takes up the gap you have under the screen (that is a big gap for just the seal to take up)

When I get home tomorrow night I will take a picture of the set up I have to demonstrate.

Dizz: I had another look - the 'hole' is square. At first I thought it was an allan key fitting.

Nick98: Curiouser and curiouser(!) If you could shed more light on this Ild appreciate it a lot!

Looks like Nick is right :idea: . Maybe try ringing a shower shop like Shower Solutions in Pevensey Sussex - or google shower parts . Any makers name hidden somewhere on the panels ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back