Shower is too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem with an electric shower in that it's too hot. The temperature control adjusts the water flow, and it's on the lowest possible setting (max water flow) and is still too hot. It's been tolerable until now, as I suspect the incoming water has been colder, but now it's getting to be a problem. It is possible to adjust the power setting to half, but then the water flow control has to be adjusted to reduce the water, and it becomes a luke warm trickle! I've also removed all traces of limescale from the shower head, which made a small difference, but not enough, unfortunately. Even with the shower head removed, it's still too hot.

Can anyone help?

Dave
Oxford

Sponsored Links
How old is it? Could be the can element scaled up and partially blocked!

gas4you said:
How old is it? Could be the can element scaled up and partially blocked!

Thanks for the response. I was wondering about this - the shower head gets scaled up quite frequently. I'm not sure how old the shower is, to be honest, as it was already in when I moved into the house in December. Is there any way you know of that I can check?

Dave

Sponsored Links
My daughter had a problem of electric shower that was too hot, went round to check and it was ok, and put it dow to water co. reducing mains pressure. Ths was confirmed when her neighbours shower stopped altogether, bought a better controlled one and it was fine. Having said all that, the above is also perfectly possible, easiest thng to do is replace it.

bobapcoed said:
My daughter had a problem of electric shower that was too hot, went round to check and it was ok, and put it dow to water co. reducing mains pressure.
What was the make and model of that shower?

Ths was confirmed when her neighbours shower stopped altogether

bought a better controlled one and it was fine.

As a very generalisation I have found that in a very hard water area electric shower heating elements can scale up sufficiently to cause problems within 2-3 years :eek:

Your hunch, and gas4you's, is almost certainly correct, i.e. scale.

You can often see the scale if you remove the outlet pipe assembly (item 14 on the diagram below).

barbados2.jpg

Before you do this, isolate the unit electrically, and remove the shower hose from the outlet spigot. Then remove the cover and it should be fairly obvious how you proceed.

I've never tried descaling the cans - I just replace them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back