Shower isolator switch hot and electric shower cut out! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi today my electric shower suddenly cut out while in use. I got out and checked the isolator switch which is on the bedroom wall and the switch which is chrome looking was very hot. The shower is a triton electric shower. It has been installed for about 4 years and we have never had a problem before. Any one got any idea what could be causing this? I have no idea if this is a fault with the shower or with the isolation switch. Any advice would be much appreciated. We are in process of selling our house and need to sort this ASAP and as cost effectively as possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Possibly loose connection at isolator causing it to get hot and has no come loose in the switch.
Isolate circuit and prove for dead before removing face plate and checking cable terminations in the back. Look for any burnt/blackened wires.

It could be that you have loose connection or contacts on the isolator plate,
if identify the circuit at consumer unit/fuse board and safely isolate it.
Then you could remove isolate front and investigate, ideally proving the conductors were dead with an approved voltage indicator, before poking around. If there is any sign of burn or melted brittle insulation then the cable will need striping back until copper nice any shiny, and could be worth fitting new isolator plate.

Thank you both for the advice. Will take a look on Tuesday when the father in law visits as he is great with electrics. Fingers crossed that this is the problem as it should be cheap to fix.

Sponsored Links
In the meantime, isolate the circuit and stop using the shower, continued use may damage cables further if they are arching.

Have isolated it at fuse box and stopped using shower. I was too terrified to risk it not knowing the issue. Electrics and water never mix! Will update on how I get on later in the week. Thanks again for such speedy replies. First time using is site and already amazed at quality of advice. Great that people are so keen to help others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back