Electric Shower - Isolating Switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed with a problem at the in-laws, he has an electric shower linked to an isolating switch, the red light on the switch comes on however as you turn the dial on the shower to hot it switches off, the light on the shower does not come on at all. He has just replaced the shower unit and has the same problem with the new unit. i've just got involved for the first time and noticed one of the live cables on the switch has been over heating. Could it be a wiring fault or a switch fault, i'm also assuming he just wasted £100.00 on a new shower unit?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Replace the switch. Just make sure it is of the same or higher current rating of the existing switch (which must be greater than the fuse size supplying the circuit.)

seen this fault dozens of times, what happens is, the insulation has not been stripped back long enough, thus it gets screwed down with the conductor, the conducter heats up, the insulation melts, the wire goes burned and charlike, thus a proper contact is not made with switch....

Fitted and working...one last problem the red light is always on is it a short on the LED or a feature, nothing in the instructions, the pull cord signals on and off correctly

Sponsored Links
is a neon, and it sounds like you have wired te swithc the wron way round.

you have the neon on the supply not the feed (to the shower)

That was my first thought however the indicator switch says on and off correctly so if i reverse the in and out will it still work

uktony said:
That was my first thought however the indicator switch says on and off correctly so if i reverse the in and out will it still work

Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back