Shower leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently completed an install of a new shower cubicle, it's tiled with 600X400 travertine and some mosaic. All internal walls were tanked, used a Mapei kit, and shower tray edges sealed off using the the waterproofing tape and tanked again. Tiles fixed with a rapid set waterprro adhesive. Internal corners sealed off with waterproof silicon and a large bead of silcon lines the shower base to the tiles. Tiles sealed prior and after installation.

Now discovered that there's a leak from the back of the tray which I think is stemming from the the top of the tray and that the silicon seal is failing and somehow has breached the waterproofing. Have ruled out the shower as the culprit, removed it, checked, reinstalled and it's bone-dry there. Have checked all to speed fit connections and they're fine as well.

Any suggestions on a localising this leak? Unfortunately cannot remove tray as it's tiled in, so to speak. Have thought about taping off the suspected area with duck tape to see if it still leaks but otherwise I'm struggling.

Sponsored Links
Also check waste pipe to make sure it's ok. Run the shower, put the shower head near the tray, don't get the top of trap and tiles wet. This will rule out waste leaking or not.

Dan.

Ommitted to mention waste water trap is not the cause of the leak. Opinions seem to suggest that the silicon seal has failed even thought there is nothing visible

Sponsored Links
before putting the shower enclosure doorssides on, did you put down a good amount of silicone sealant? I tend to seal 3 times, once before screwfix it to the wall, then on the inside and outsides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back