shower mcb closest to the rcd????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand why you should put the biggest mcb next to the main switch but was wondering on my 5+5 split load c.u i have the main switch on the left then the 5 unprotected mcbs then the rcd and 5 protected mcb's and as i want the shower protected (rcd) would the shower mcb just go closest to the rcd, probably a stupid question :oops: but thought i'd check, Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Put it next to the main r.c.d on the protected side(should be 40+ amps, always work down the further you move away from "incoming power"), this means you'll have to budge everything along one. But I always thought a split c.u. had the main "breaker in the middle ?? Breezer/ Paul HELP !!

4575_l.jpg

as you see main switch at one end, rcd in the "middle"

Sponsored Links
Breezer is correct, main Isolators are always at one side (apart from some industrial 3-phase CUs).

Scoby is correct that it's always best practice to put the biggest breakers near the main isolators. It's not a requirement of the Regs though, just recognised good practice. Don't sweat too much if you don't want to shift them, it's not the end of the world...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back