Shower Mixer Valve installation horizontally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am planning a refurb of my son's bathroom and want to fit a concealed shower thermostatic mixer valve but rather than fit vertically on the wall I would like to fit horizontally on a boxed in area at the end of the bath. Is there any reason that these types of valves cannot be mounted horizontally? The hot feed is via combi boiler and cold via mains water feed.
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1. I can't think of any reason (but see below) why it wouldn't work if mounted horizontally.
2. However, it might prove very difficult to seal against water getting in.
3. I'd suggest you pick the one you want, then contact the manufacturer.

Why not just purchase a valve which is designed to be fitted horizontally in the first place? A vertical one will have markings showing hot & cold which will sit sideways if you mount a vertical one horizontally.

All the valves I've looked at just seem to assume you are going to mount it vertically. Their instructions don't even mention whether the valve can be mounted horizontally. I've looked at loads and haven't found one that says the valve is suitable for horizontal mounting. I have actually done what you have suggested 'oldbuffer' and contacted the manufacturer for a valve that I would like to use.

Sponsored Links
By the way, just to be clear, when I say I want to mount the valve horizontally, I mean with the backplate horizontal and the knobs facing upwards

Attached is a rough sketch of what I want to do, showing the mixer valve mounted flat on the boxed-in area at the opposite end of the bath to where the drench shower head is. With the valve mounted in this location it will not be directly under any shower water and it allows you to turn on the shower before climbing into the bath so you can let it flow hot before getting in !!

Attachments

• 20231226_221847.jpg
    20231226_221847.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 55
Oh right - so you want to, in essence, deck mount a thermo mixer bar shower? No reason why not I wouldn't think, just wouldn't want the hand held, if there was to be one, being able to reach the bath water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back