Shower not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower recently stopped working, and on replacing it I have found it still doesn't work.

The main fuse box has not tripped, and the isolator box is still lit when the shower is off (so I know power is getting as far as this). When the shower is turned on (although it doesn't work) the light in the isolator box goes out.

I opened the isolator box and it looks like one of the wires and terminal has melted.

I intend to replace the isolator box but wanted advice as to whether it is likely to be the wiring which is at fault. I would have thought that if the light on the isolator box is working than the box is fine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The main fuse box has not tripped, and the isolator box is still lit when the shower is off (so I know power is getting as far as this). When the shower is turned on (although it doesn't work) the light in the isolator box goes out.
Assuming that by "isolator box" you mean "switch", then this is a symptom of a poor termination.

I opened the isolator box and it looks like one of the wires and terminal has melted.
Eureka.

I intend to replace the isolator box but wanted advice as to whether it is likely to be the wiring which is at fault.
No. It commonly results from a loose terminal screw.

I would have thought that if the light on the isolator box is working than the box is fine.
You have learned that you were wrong to think this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back