Shower options for gravity fed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking at installing a shower cubicle in an upstairs bathroom, and just wondering what the options are for the shower itself as it's a gravity fed system.

I put a standard mixer shower into the bath, but the flow isnt very good (presumably because there just isnt enough of a drop from the loft space). I installed the same shower on the ground floor and it's much better.

Is the only option an electric shower? I personally find them expensive and not that great! Just wondering if a pump can be fitted on the hot water supply to increase the flow?

Sponsored Links
Shower pump on both supplies or you may have trouble getting a balanced flow.

Is the only option an electric shower? I personally find them expensive and not that great! Just wondering if a pump can be fitted on the hot water supply to increase the flow?
If your heating system and hot water tank can supply the water, a pump is a good solution if you dont have much gravit pressure.

If the cold water tank is sitting on the joists in the loft and shower head is at head height, you might just have 0.5m of head, which is 0.05 bar pressure

For a shower from a gravity / vented system, ideally you want 22mm hot water direct from hot water cylinder and cold feed direct from tank.

I’ve never seen plumbers recommend these but the reviews seem quite good and easy to fit:

Alternatively a Stewart Turner pump

Faced the same problem when plumbing my cottage I opted for a hot water cylinder with a shower coil to supply mains pressure hot water to the shower.

It does involve the cost of fitting a new hot water cylinder but it works well without the need for power for a pump or an electric shower which will be expensive to run.

water shower.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would say you have two options:
1. A "power" shower, such as the Triton AS2000SR (there are a fair number of other makes / models, this is not a recommendation). Take hot and cold feeds from the existing hot water cylinder (HWC) and cold water storage cistern (CWSC) and has an internal pump. Needs an electrical feed, but not a really powerful one like and electric shower. Shower performance not the greatest, but adequate.
2. A shower pump. I'd go for a good one such as a Stuart Turner Monsoon. Will give a really good shower. Needs careful installation, with strict adherence to manufacturer's instructions. Part of the installation will be running new feeds from the CWSC and HWC to the pump, which should be sited at the level of the base of the HWC. The feed from the HWC needs a special fitting (flange) to avoid air getting into the pump.

Anyone used a showerpowerbooster? They seem to be a lot easier to install than standard pumps.

Fyi here is a pic of my bath shower in the same room running at standard 38 degrees, as you can see it's sluggish but doesn't need too much more to make it sufficient.

Attachments

• 17083563064753893407813108686096.jpg
    17083563064753893407813108686096.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back