Shower pump/combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have a combi boiler and a mixer shower. The shower is a bit rubbish in regards to the flow (unless of course I am running the cold!) as is the general hot water.
I am about to have my bathroom refitted and would have liked a more powerful shower. I was about to buy a pump then saw something that said you cant have a pump with a combi boiler. I looked a bit further into it and that would seem to be the case.
So, my question is, what can I do, if anything, to get a more powerful shower? I don't want to spend hundreds on doing this so if its going to cost more than a pump then I probably wont bother.
Any advice would be gratefully received
Cheers
toptotty11177

Sponsored Links
It isn't strictly the case, but typical shower pumps are not designed to operate off the "mains" pressure hot flower that you get from a combi.

In any case, your problem is most likely not linked to the flow as such, but to the ability of the boiler to heat the water fast enough, so a pump wouldn't help. How powerful is the boiler?

You do say that even the hot water taps run slow, which does sound like you might have a flow problem. Is perhaps the hot water flow through the boiler stopped down? Can you compare the hot water and cold water flows from a fully open tap, as in how many litres you can get in a minute? Are all the hot water taps equally slow?

It isn't strictly the case, but typical shower pumps are not designed to operate off the "mains" pressure hot flower that you get from a combi.

In any case, your problem is most likely not linked to the flow as such, but to the ability of the boiler to heat the water fast enough, so a pump wouldn't help. How powerful is the boiler?

You do say that even the hot water taps run slow, which does sound like you might have a flow problem. Is perhaps the hot water flow through the boiler stopped down? Can you compare the hot water and cold water flows from a fully open tap, as in how many litres you can get in a minute? Are all the hot water taps equally slow?

How would I find out if the hot water flow is stopped down?
Yes, all the hot taps in the house run very slow.
I just timed it now and the hot gives me about 4-4.5 litres per minute and the cold gives 9-10 litres per minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back