Shower pump comes on when it shouldn't!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm after some advice. We have a non pressurised heating system for our hot water (and central heating). A gas bolier but not combination so the hot water is stroed in a tank. A few months ago we had a new shower installed that feeds from the hot water tank but is pumped via a 3 bar shower pump.

We recently have been having problems wherby if you switch the tap on (more so the hot I think but it is tricky to tell as all our taps are monoblock mixers), when you are finished and turn the tap off the shower pump all of a sudden kicks into life. Now this would be fine if it were just a single short burst but it kind of pulses on and off and sometimes the only way to stop it is to kill the power (via RCD). Does it sound like a fault with the pump or the way it has all been plumbed in - it looks to be a very simple methood of feed from tank into pump - out from pump to shower....

TIA

Dylan

Sponsored Links
Its the pressure switch on the pump, probably happens only if you turn the water off quickly.
I dont know the fix only the reason.

Do you have any dead legs of pipe !!

This is normally caused by air trapped in the pipes!!

Air will compress causing the flow switch to operate!!

Sponsored Links
Unused pipes that are capped !!

Make sure they are full of water !!

There are no dead legs on the "circuit" that supplies the shower. There is one cold feed dead leg that used to supply the old electric shower but this has water going right to the cap (an inline valve). Any further tests I can do or look for?

had the same prob a while ago. try a non ret valve on cold supply to pump this cured it for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back