Shower pump does not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have fitted a shower with a pump. Cold tank is in the loft, shower on the floor below. Pump on the floor next to she shower (in a cupboard).

When it works it works well, but most mornings it will not start. Turn the shower on, nothing. To make it start, dangle the shower head down to the floor: water dribbles then flows out, and the pump starts (as it should when there's water flow). You can then switch it off and on at will - all fine. Next day, same problem.

It's like there's not enough of a head to start the water flow - but there is - the water level in the tank is a good meter higher than the shower head, which should be more than enough to get a little flow. And indeed it DOES restart shortly after it's been used.

I suspect something like a sum-of-syphons, perhaps caused by us opening taps throughout the day and reducing pressure in part of the pipework, something like that, but I can't work out exactly how it's happening or how to resolve it.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
You don’t mention where the HW cylinder is or what sort of take off flange you have? Have you any up & over loops between the pump & the mixer or shower head; they will also affect static head & should be at least 600mm below the base of the CW tank. Relative location of the tank, pump & pipe runs is only indicative, you need a flow rate of 1 lire/min to kick the pressure switches into life, for some reason you aren’t getting it. The pipe runs could be poorly designed/long/restricted or getting air locked; any up & over loops should be vented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back