Shower Pump Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Untitled.jpg
Got a Stuart Turner 3.0 Bar Universal Twin pump. This will be installed in the airing cupboard next to the HW cylinder and will pump both gravity-fed cold (for bath fillers in the bathroom and en-suite) and hot (whole house). The HW cylinder has a 90-degree pipe coming out of the top, which tees to a vertical pipe... this vents up to the tank in the loft and, in the other direction, it feeds the hot water services throughout the house. So, if I install the pump inline with that vertical pipe below the tee, what's to stop the pump pulling air from the portion of the pipe that's on the other side of the tee (the bit that goes back to the tank in the loft)? Just can't get my head around it.

Does the drawing I've knocked-up look about right? PS. The pump will be sitting on the floor next to the tank.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I do not think you'r setup will work, i doubt if you can use these pumps in that set-up to boost the pressure of te hot water for the whole house

I do not think you'r setup will work, i doubt if you can use these pumps in that set-up to boost the pressure of te hot water for the whole house

Why do you say that? This is the pump Stuart Turner recommended... obviously, if multiple hot taps are in use around the property at the same time, the pressure will drop-off, but there's only 2 of us in the house.

1st issue you have there is exactly as you describe.

You may have an issue with the pump drawing aerated water, not necessarily from the vent . You need a separate flange - surrey/essex - fitted to HW cylinder to draw water from the tank that would not be aerated.

Can I assume it's the 3 bar monsoon? If so then whole house pumping is achievable.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1st issue you have there is exactly as you describe.

You may have an issue with the pump drawing aerated water, not necessarily from the vent . You need a separate flange - surrey/essex - fitted to HW cylinder to draw water from the tank that would not be aerated.

Can I assume it's the 3 bar monsoon? If so then whole house pumping is achievable.

Ok, makes sense. I'll install a Surrey flange in the top of the HW cylinder and feed the HW side of the pump from there.

Yep, it's the 3 Bar Monsoon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back