Fitting Shower pump away from the cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to fit a shower pump on a standard gravity fed vented system.

There isn't much room in the airing cupboard for the pump. Currently he shower is fed by a cold feed which comes off the cold water tank, down into the airing cupboard, then tee's off back up up to the loft, over the loft then down into a built in wardrobe where it enters the back of the shower cubicle. The other end of the cold feed from the tank continues around the house.
The hot feed comes off the top of the cylinder, then tees off the vent pipe (with a flange I expect), this then has another tee, one half which goes to the taps around the house and the other which goes again back up to the loft and follows the same path as the cold to the wardrobe and shower.

The pipes the shower runs off are a dedicated supply, albeit off the main distribution pipes from the cold feed and cylinder. Can I site the shower pump in the wardrobe which is about three metres away from the cylinder (horizontally) or about 20 metres away in pipe length? All 15 mm.

What's the reason for siting the pump so close to the cylinder?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The longer the pipe on the sucky end the harder the pump has to work to push the water out of the blowy end. Normally 3-4M is the max, with 22mm pipe - beyond that you wont get a pump warranty.

If you check the specs on the pump, most will be max out at 4-5m effective pipe length @ 22mm pipe. 15mm pipe will be at least half that, this is due to the flow required to feed the pump adequately.
A shower pump also requires dedicated feeds, i.e. nothing else before or after the pump supply, this is to remove drops in supply to the pump if another outlet on the same supply is opened.
Siting close to the cylinder minimises any interruption to flow to the pump and reduces the chances of air being caught in intricate pipe runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back