shower pump - pipes under floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a shower pump. It is a gravity feed system with hot tank in the airing cupboard next door. To fit the pump in the airing cupboard is too hard, the pipes are behind the tank and theres very little space.

I want break into existing 22mm pipe work feeding the bath/shower which are underneath the wooden floor. All the installation diagrams ive seen show all the pipework being above the pump.

Can I turn the pipes through 90, bring them up say 2ft out of the floor, turn 90 to horizontal and then back down into the pump which will sit on the floor in a cupboard?

Will there be air locks in the highest point - should I put air bleed caps at the top?

Sponsored Links
I want break into existing 22mm pipe work feeding the bath/shower which are underneath the wooden floor. All the installation diagrams ive seen show all the pipework being above the pump.

You really want to be supplying the pump with it's own dedicated supplies from the cylinder/cws.

Buy a pump that can be tee'd into the hot supply pipe which comes out of the top of the cylinder, the pump can then be sited in front of the cylinder incase of repair/maintenance. The cold supply should be a separate supply from your water tank in the loft. Drain the tank, fit a tank connector (with sealing washer) as low down as possible and a stop valve. Fill the tank and check for leaks, Then pipe can be routed through loft down to the pump. Pipes from the pump to the shower can then be taken back into the loft, across to the bathroom and down to shower valve.

Pipes from the pump to the shower can then be taken back into the loft, across to the bathroom and down to shower valve.

I hadnt thought of going overhead. Easier than going under floor but more expense in copper! The pump will have to push further uphill - I was thinking of a 2 bar. I want a good strong but not massive flow. will that be ok?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back