Shower pump pulsating when water is hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello helpers Recently I had a Stuart Turner shower mate. Water pump connected to my immersion heater but it keeps pulsating well not always .
I have tested the shower over the last couple of days 8 times and it worked great each time without hot water
But when I heated up the water I tried it the 9th time it kept on pulsating ie on & off
Is this a coincidence or something else ? The guy who fitted it is on holiday so I will be having cold showers for 2 weeks unless you guys have any ideas !! Thank you P M
Oh one other thing the guy did come back and fitted some sort of bleed valve on the top of the immersion heater

Sponsored Links
It could be temperature related. Most shower pumps specify a maximum hot water temperature of around 60 to 65 degrees C. Often hot water from cylinders that are heated by immersion heaters are in access of this; particularly when they are heated by an off peak tariff to maximise the heat stored.

If the hot water entering the pump is in excess of the max temp specified a thermostatic mixing valve should be fitted to the hot water inlet. This blends the hot water with some cold to keep the temperature inside the specified operating temperature.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the HW take off, also google "Surrey Flange" to see if your plumber has installed something like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back