Shower pump question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a 20 year old house with an ensuite shower room. The shower is really weak and when we bought the house I asked the home owner if he knew why (it is pretty much unusable) He said the shower pump that was there when he moved in had failed and been removed as it was cheaper than replacing it. In the airing cupboard behind the shower (in another room) The pipes to the shower can be clearly seen to have been altered to join together, there is a wooden shelf mounted on the wall and a white chunky wire going to a grey sealed junction box on the wall near to and above this shelf. The other end of the chunky wire goes into a plate on the wall where all my existing electrical connections emerge. I turned off all power, unscrewed this plate and had a look inside. The cable joins to the cable for the immersion heater in the wall using some sort of all in one Y shaped connector. It is still connected and live but in good condition.

I am able to install a new shower pump on the plumbing side, but can I legitimately/legally then connect it to the existing wiring as I am effectively replacing old with new?

Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Shower pump should be on own fused spur rated at 3 amp. Immersion is 16amp (15 old wire fuse) Suggest sparky check your wiring first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back