shower pump switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my customer wants to have the shower either pumped or gravity for different household members,is there a way to switch the pump on/off other than a pull switch?I wondered about a low voltage touch switch,or a wireless switch possibly.The electrician-who is excellent-hasn't really got the time find out.Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
pressure or flow switch. but it will always come on.

a pull swithc is the easiest option, but wont be a lot of use if shower turned off and pump left on

Use one of these

http://www.herga.com/air_switches/?id=63

to operate one of these

http://www.herga.com/air_switches/?id=55

to operate a contactor to feed power to the pump.

Feed the contactor coil from the switched shower supply so it can only operate when the shower is powered. Use the air switch to operate the contactor an latch it on with one of its own contacts. It will then drop when the shower switch is turned off.

wont work.

its not an electric shower

shower tyurned off will be a tap on the wall, pump will still keep running

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
wont work.

its not an electric shower

shower tyurned off will be a tap on the wall, pump will still keep running

Oooppss

Then a pressure or flow switch to control power availability to the coil of the contactor with the air pressure switch to operate it if needed

Just thinking out loud here....... And preparing to be shot down in flames :)

How about a couple of 22mm 3 port central heating valves to bypass the pump inlets to outlets. Connect both from the same electrical feed as the shower pump via an appropriate pull cord switch.

When off, the valves bypass the pump to allow unrestricted flow to shower valve, and no power to pump.
When on, water diverted through pump, shower pump functions through it's internal flow switches.

Thanks everybody for quick replies.I like the look of the pneumatic arrangement-think it could prob work somehow-add a relay or something-will check with my sparks.Thanks keyplumb-thought about this,but won't know for sure untill tried.Root of prob is the lady of the house wants gentle "rain forest" shower-guy wants to strip his skin off!
Many thanks- v. impressed with the forum-actual,sensible advice,no posturing!!

mikethepipe said:
Thanks everybody for quick replies.I like the look of the pneumatic arrangement-think it could prob work somehow-add a relay or something-will check with my sparks.Thanks keyplumb-thought about this,but won't know for sure untill tried.Root of prob is the lady of the house wants gentle "rain forest" shower-guy wants to strip his skin off!
Many thanks- v. impressed with the forum-actual,sensible advice,no posturing!!

dont even think about it, its flawed.

it relies on end user remebering to turn pump off.

you cant have a timer for pump, too short, bloke annoyed, too long pump burns out.

fit 2 showers. one for him one for her.

I am being serious, but do explain to potential client problems a switch on the pump will cause, and reduced flow rate of not having pump running

or what about one of them show head with lots of settings, i recall one had a champagne setting

What is the budget. Would it run to a variable speed pump ? Or a basic pump and variable frequency invertor to run the pump.

Er,

I'm not a pro lectrician or plumber but how is fitting a switch into the pump power circuit going to cause any problems?? Surely the pump will still use it's internal pressure drop switch to control the motor. No flow = power off. All you do is add a way of turning off the power to the motor permanently. It's no different to having a switched outlet for it and that doesn't usually seem to cause too many issues ;)

Why not look into something like one of those timer push button things where you push the button and it comes out slowly over 20 minutes or so. That way the pump defaults to off until you hit the button

Also, to the OP.......
Shower taps are not digital. There are positions inbetween off and skin stripping where the power of the shower is reduced. Would this not be a better solution than all this other stuff? Worth pointing out to the customers one would think

not all pumps come with integral pressure switch.

the switch you mention is called time lag, but cant be mounted in a bathroom

Sorry for delay replying to all helpful advice-weekend call out plus catch up! Lots of info and food for thought,seeing customer at end of week so at least i've got some options-will check out variable speed pump.Many thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back