Shower pump wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Here's the story. A fortnight ago I fitted a shower pump to a friends existing thermostatic shower.
Basically I ran cold pipe from tank in loft into airing cupboard to pump (on floor), Took a hot feed from the cylinder output again to the pump.

The outputs from the pump had to go back into the loftspace over a hallway and down the wall in the bathroom. All pipework is in 15mm

This worked perfectly untill the pump I installed decided to leak like hell (it was 2nd hand) Anyway he has gone out and purchaced a Bristan 2.0bar pump to replace the leaky one. Problem is now the pump wont start unless the shower head is lowered into the bath.

I gather this is due to a flow/head issue but there is easily 500mm between the bottom of the tank and the showerhead. Its also a rather large tank. Easily enough to fill 2 baths.

Thanks In advance

Sponsored Links
i would put it down to the size of your pipework.
what the instructions say ? have you a link to the instructions ?
i don't know any 2 bar pumps that run on 15mm.

I had a feeling that may be a possibility. Unfortunally I have not seen the pump nor the instructions as they live 150miles away. I am going there this weekend so will have a look then, I will give them a call and try and find out what model pump it is so maybe be able to find a link.

When you say you dont know of any 15mm 2.0 bar pumps. even though the inlet/outlets are in 15mm do they still require 22mm up to and after the pump?

afraid so
useally even with pumps that use 15mm inlet/outlet if they go back up into the loft and across i will use 22mm reduced to 15mm at the pump to supply it.
nothing worse than a pump thats starved of water.
but as you say 22mm down to shower then reduce before entering the mixer.

you need a good gravity flow from the showerhead as thats what lifts the flow valve in the pump to start it.

Sponsored Links
Joy!

Best get these instructions and have a good read.

Blow torch to the ready then by the sounds of it.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back