Installing a Stuart Turner Monsoon Twin 3 bar Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Dormer bungalow and the Hot Water Tank is on the ground floor under the stairs and the header tank is in the loft space above the first floor.

I want to install a shower in the bathroom on the first floor using a mixer valve, but there is not enough head to give enough pressure and it is not possible to raise the header tank within the loft space.

The shower will be above the bath so can I simply tee off the 22mm bath tap supply pipes into the Monsoon pump and site the pump below the bath, then feed off the delivery side of the pump up to the shower mixer valve above the bath ? If this is possible will the pump bleed and prime itself by way of the head pressure from the header tank which will be about 2.5metres above the pump when the shower valve is opened ? The shower head will be about 2.3metres above the pump. Would I need to fit any non return valves ?

Installing the pump on the ground floor by the cylinder is not possible due to space restriction.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your proposed installation method is incorrect as the pump requires a dedicated hot & cold supply from cylinder & tank.

Thanks for your reply, I only want the pump to operate for the shower on the first floor and of course it would never be used simultaneously with the bath taps so in this case is teeing off the supply from the pipes (hot and cold 22mm) to the bath taps not dedicating both the feeds to the shower pump ?

It is not possible to site the pump near the cylinder and there is no other access to the pipework as it is all buried within stud walls.

Thanks

You can site the pump under the bath and pipe it from tank & cylinder. The hot will work above the cylinder anyway as there is head available from the cold tank from which it's fed.

Anything other than dedicated supplies is slapdash installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Tibbot, the head for both the hot and cold is the same really, both from the header tank but will only give 0.1bar at the shower head (1metre from the surface of a full header tank) which, I understand is insufficient for a mixer valve to function properly and give a decent shower.

I don't really want to live with "incorrect or slapdash" and having researched the subject can see your point but we really need a shower over the bath and I just can't have an electric shower nor realistically plumb in a pump 'text book fashion' without demolishing 3 walls and pulling up a lot of floor.

Is there any way of installing the shower apart from pumping from the bath tap pipes and if not will the proposed method create other problems in addition to being "incorrect or slapdash".

Any and all ideas and comment are appreciated.

Thanks

You can install the pump any way you wish. It's your pump. However you've asked for in-the-trade advice so you'll only get the correct method. It's not just text book, your pump's working life will be shortened by not having a dedicated supply of air-bubble free water, though I have known a Showermate to last 4 years before packing up. Wouldn't risk it with a Monsoon model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back