Stuart Turner Monsoon Pump - adhoc switching on and off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a first floor flat which has a Stuart Turner Monsoon pump fitted to supply hot and cold water throughout the flat (3 sinks, 2 baths, 2 showers, 2 toilets). The pump activates when we open any of the taps, run the showers and flush the loos. After we have run the water, the pump switches off, as expected, but then 5 to 10 minutes later, the pump runs again for around 20-30 seconds and repeats this cycle for about half and hour. Please can you give me some guidance as to why this may be happening?

The pump is installed on the airing cupboard floor and there is a header tank in the same airing cupboard located approximately 6 feet above floor level.

I have tried running all the cold taps for around 5 minutes with the pump switched off, followed by the hot taps for a further 5 minutes to see if there was perhaps an airlock somewhere but this has not made any difference.

Other point to note is that the flat has been empty for around 6 months and the water and pump will not have been used much. Also, if I turn the pump off for a period of time, when I turn it back on it runs for about 20 seconds then turns itself off.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You may have a dripping tap. WHich model of pump is it?
It may be one of the flow switches playing up. If you can locate them you can usually stop them from moving just slightly, due to a leak, with a magnet.

Pumping toilets is not a good idea. Check they aren't over filling their cisterns or "letting by" at the float valve - you may not notice if it's all internal.
If too hard to tell,, just change the washers anyway.

That's really helpful, thank you.

1) The pump is Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 2.0 Bar Twin. I can't see anything else on the pump other than a serial no. (1011023-049).
2) I am fairly sure no taps are dripping, but I will double check by leaving a tissue in each sink.
3) Please can you describe to me where I will find the flow switches and a bit more explanation about how to use a magnet.
4) The toilets don't seem to have enough oomph to flush without the pump switched on (so I guess that's why they have been connected to the pump), but I will also check to see if the float valves are shutting off completely.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Connecting toilets to a pump will not increase their flushing pressure, just the time it takes to fill the cistern.
If your cistern 'dribbles' for a short while after flushig, this could be the cause of the pump kicking back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back