Shower RCD Getting Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a Triton Xante 2, with a rating of 8.5kw. It is wired with 45 amp shower cable, onto a separate RCD with a rating of 45 amps. It has been working fine for 6 months. Now however the RCD is making a noise and getting hot when the shower is drawing a lot of power. It will also trip out after a while. In the box, where the RCD sits onto the live bar at its base is black indicating burning. I am not too happy that the RCD is tight enough onto the bar, although you are unable to tighten it, as it clips into position from the top.

I am sure the ratings are all correct, but wondered whether the RCD might be faulty. Also, would the system have to draw more power if the water pressure is low.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like a loose screw on the rcd.it may well have welded itself in position with arcing by now(which accounts for it being loose although the screw wont do up).get it replaced and thank your lucky stars you didnt have a fire to deal with

Definately sounds like a loose screw or terminal, does the rcd show signs of discoloration or has any of the cable covering or the rcd melted ?

If any of the above are visable isolat from the mains supply and replaice asap.

As daytona said you've been lucky but the rcd has done its job. The little test butt on on rcd's use them one day they might save your life. No point in having an rcd if it dont trip.

Sponsored Links
Thank you to both of you for your help. I know what it is now. Before the rcd is fitted onto the bar at the base, the screw needs to be opened up. It is then placed onto the bar, clipped in at the top, and finally the screw is tightned up.

It was arcing because of the loose connection, and you are quite right it has welded tight, so is now useless. I have isolated everything and will get a replacement.

Thank god there was no fire!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back