Shower rcd needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I had a call today from the father his elc shower packed up so I've fitted a replacement was a bit of a pain as the water intake was on the other side but got it done its a 8.5kw same as the old unit wire can take over this but I have a consern both old and new units have no bounding grd only the mains grd going to the pole switch and then fuse box. when looking at the box later I saw it was a old style not a rcd so I've told him with no rcd he needs to leave it off and have his whole fuse box changed to a rcd or atleast a single rcd to the shower is this the right call as I know it will cost him a few hundred to have done

Sponsored Links
RCD is good call.

What size is the fuse/ circuit breaker?

What size is the cable?

Thanks for the quick reply I wrote everything down and left it with him to show the sparky once I convince him its worth doing
if memory serves me its 10mm2 wire and a 40amp
with the price I only knew a complete rcd box fitted it around 300 mark seen some charge up to 500 so he could just run a single rcd to shower for around 30

Sponsored Links
The room may still need bonding if the other circuits are not RCD protected and conditions demand it.

Thanks for all ur help his a stubborn man thou so I've removed power to it now untill he has it done incase he wont listen hehe
He just had solor panels fitted and tried to tell me just because it has its own rcd it will cover the whole house lol really he needs his whole house rewired its well out dated but can't see him spending out on that

I know this is a DIY forum I like to do my own pluming ect DIY but I draw the line when it come to messing with the fuse box I work soldering pc laptop repair ect but still Prefer to spend the cash for peace of mind that's OCD for you lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back