shower room tiling onto existing plasterboarded walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm creating a new en-suite and was wondering if it's worth trying to use the existing plasterboarded (and painted walls) and tile straight onto them?

They are painted (we did it 4 years ago) but not with a specific bathroom paint or water resistant paint.

Is there a product to waterproof over the paint and give a decent key for tiling for example will using a tanking kit with primer do the job? Or should i strip the wall back and dot'n'dab new aqua panel or moisture board and tank appropriately?

There is one new wall for the shower enclosure for which I have the moisture board (green stuff) so i was going to tank that anyway.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
This section, Your Projects, is for people to post stories / progress on their projects in order to help others.

To get help on this matter you would be better off posting in the Building or maybe the Tiling section. I think that the moderators can move this for you.

You can use the "Report" link to request it

mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back