Shower Screen Catching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3862CD1D-9C19-4497-9112-1956C46CDA98.jpeg
Hi
My shower screen seems to catch when I open/close it. Its an L shape on the bath. It looks like its slipped down at one end as the gap at the bottom is no longer square. When I put a spirit level on ever single edge, including the wall, bath, & screen, its perfectly square. Any ideas? Could it be wooden supports under the corner of the L on the bath behind the side pane is too tight and actually pushing that corner up? You can see in the pic that the gap is nearly gone at the L end.

Sponsored Links
Suggest you carefully look at the seal between door and bath?

Not easy to see, but, looks as if there is a crack in the seal on the end nearest the camera.

Replacement seals are on the net.

Ken

Yeh the seal needs replaced. What Im getting at is the gap at the wall end is about 1/2” and the gap at the other end is about 1mm. Its as if its not square, but everywhere Ive put a level is square

Check that the bath is level at that point and that the wall is 90deg to the bath and that the wall is level all the way up to the top.

That issue is usually down to the top of the screen, in the frame, is leaning out from the wall or the wall itself is running out. If all of that is still square then it can only be the glass that's shifted in the frame.

Sponsored Links
I think youre right. Every single piece of the frame, wall & bath is square. But looking at the top of the glass where it goes into the frame, theres a gap. How the heck can that be fixed. I noticed theres screws on the top cap above it, maybe that will give me a clue if I remove that

Can you post a pic of the edge frame on the wall? At the top and the bottom?

If it's what I think you are suggesting and the glass is pulling itself out of its edge framing (should be bonded into that) then the screen needs replaced.

C97F67AB-19F0-492B-A67E-9899B7195B5A.jpeg
6E0277B3-0162-4DC2-935F-FD17059C5DE1.jpeg
6E0277B3-0162-4DC2-935F-FD17059C5DE1.jpeg
Here is a picture of the top. That little cut out looks like the glass has slipped within the frame. The bottom corner one is right inside the frame.
C97F67AB-19F0-492B-A67E-9899B7195B5A.jpeg

The 2 screws are what hold the hinge onto the frame into the carrier, the glass should be bonded into that cylinder that hinges top and bottom.

Yes, I have to agree that it looks like the glass is slipping out of the cylinder. I'd be taking that screen off, lie it flat and take off the hinge top and bottom, you'll be left with the glass and the cylinder on one end, see if the cylinder can be tapped back onto the glass, if so and there's movement then I'd probably advise a new screen is installed as there no guarantee that that glass won't fall out of the cylinder at some point.

You could try re-bonding it with some serious adhesive but there wouldn't be any guarantees with that as a fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back