Shower screen glass fell out of its frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As the title suggests, my son was taking a shower last night and the shower screen glass actually fell out of the metal frame. Luckily he caught it so it didn’t shatter.

can anybody advise what type of adhesive I can use the secure it back in the frame? The original stuff seems to have been some form of black silicone based sealant.

kind regards

Attachments

• 02FDF59B-22FD-481B-BEA5-6A6C717524BC.jpeg
    02FDF59B-22FD-481B-BEA5-6A6C717524BC.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 568
  • CA1E98D3-AC3F-4FF4-A4E6-041C1D4C2B5F.jpeg
    CA1E98D3-AC3F-4FF4-A4E6-041C1D4C2B5F.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 573
Sponsored Links
Is the top hinge plastic? Did the top hinge snap?

Did you have the screen and bath fitted, if so how long ago?

Andy

Best remove the wall plate and fix, too heavy to repair in situ , though I would be replacing it .

Is the top hinge plastic? Did the top hinge snap?

Did you have the screen and bath fitted, if so how long ago?

Andy

Hi, the screen was fitted 10+ years ago. There is no plastic hinge on the frame. Nothing has snapped. The glass is inserted into a slot and secured with some kind of sealant / adhesive. If you see the first photo you’ll see what I mean.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Best remove the wall plate and fix, too heavy to repair in situ , though I would be replacing it .

i did think about replacing it but nothing on the market seems to match the curvature of the bath end at this point. The screen was part of the bathroom suite specifically for this bath. I would be removing it from the wall in order to glue it if I do go down that route.

I'd use clear silicone and lots of it.

Last edited:
Could you also fit an arm from the wall to the top of the screen. Lots have this addition, might help with stability.

id use ‘sticks like sh!t’ .
clear .
With care though as it’s not as wipeable as normal silicone.

BHM1712, I cannot make much out from your photo's however.
As you have been advised already, remove the frame from the wall fittings first, refit the glass into the frame using plenty of one of the adhesives/sealants suggested above and leave it to set for at least 24hr before moving it.
Do not try and refit this glass in situ otherwise you will have to stand there holding it for 24hr :)

Only once it has cured refit it to the wall, with someone else's help holding it.

Buy a new shower screen, the top hinges on these were all faulty and had to be replaced for metal ones, I know because I had to replace over 150 pairs.

Andy

If you must glue it use PU40. For a decent job you'd need to fill the bottom of the slot, put the glass in and then open it with some wedges to get the adhesive in down the sides then clamp it while it sets - if you just squirt it in and push the glass in it'll scrape most of it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back