Shower screen installation NEED ADVICE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I had a shower screen installed. Very unhappy with large gap between frame of screen and tray. It is opposite the shower head at bottom of shower so will get much water and soap scum.
Installer said my tray isn't level. Old screen that he removed was perfectly flush to tray, installer said it was same as his install, big gap. I found a photo that proves it was flush. So I suspect tray is level, I will confirm today.
My property is a rental, it wont be looked after or kept clean with gap, very difficult to maintain cleanliness with this huge gap. What are my options? I know I cannot fill gap with silicone as water wont drain into tray.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am yet to pay & want it corrected before paying. Is only option refit?

Attachments

• CDA5437F-DB01-4EAA-9B40-770706BBB318.jpeg
    CDA5437F-DB01-4EAA-9B40-770706BBB318.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 15FF5C51-F7D1-4D4E-A961-EF4F7B4EB064.jpeg
    15FF5C51-F7D1-4D4E-A961-EF4F7B4EB064.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 4422F32F-2923-48C5-B104-CC870F2527DA.jpeg
    4422F32F-2923-48C5-B104-CC870F2527DA.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Show pics of the full view of the enclosure ,together with pics of the previous one that you have.

Here are photos of full enclosure and previous (you can see corner of white screen was flush) to tray).
I've just discovered a new issue. I checked tray, yes, not dead level, tiniest margin out, but spirit level still within markers. Slope is towards drain so no big issue.
However, the shower screen installed appears too big for tray. There is zero tolerance in U-channel (vertical on wall) for glass panel. The installer has moved panel out to outermost edge of tray, but on other side it's in about 6mm. This has created a torsion in join above pivot door.
Basically he tried to make fit as best could and created new issues. Said nothing the whole time. Is this a refit? Not sure what modifications can be made to it to get better fitment.

Attachments

• 7CB018F7-6629-478C-8F45-3ACDE74FA86E.jpeg
    7CB018F7-6629-478C-8F45-3ACDE74FA86E.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 9EBC9483-AC99-46E7-AA1D-7260B33143FF.jpeg
    9EBC9483-AC99-46E7-AA1D-7260B33143FF.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 225
  • D7488022-B93C-49F4-BE41-1D7021F19028.jpeg
    D7488022-B93C-49F4-BE41-1D7021F19028.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 239
  • E08A006A-C0D5-4209-969C-2E0F60E66C3D.jpeg
    E08A006A-C0D5-4209-969C-2E0F60E66C3D.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
From what I can see this is your problem as well.
The Cubicle looks too big for the tray. The tray is too far in to the wall.
I think you said its a rental so my guess is you have gone for a cheap shower cubicle.

(Im guessing the measurements) but your trying to make a 800mm x 800mm shower cubicle fit a tray that is effectively 760mm x 760mm.

If you had chosen better quality and measured your tray the plumber may have got over this. Some cubicles have better tolerance than others.

The Plumber in my opinion should have worked this out before hand, most defiantly if he bought the cubicle.

I think you need to be honest with him and come to an agreement. as both of you are responsible for the cock up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Australia it is! Where everyone wants to be right now. ;)

Agreed! Cubicle is too big for tray.

Tray was installed by plumber many years ago. Before my time. However, in Oz we generally operate where the installer comes out & measures for squareness, levels & sizing. I didn't nominate any size, that is installers responsibility. Like all customers, I want quality installation, meaning no gaps, water tight, etc. Unfortunately we have come unstuck as the installer has tried to get away with larger screen and make it fit, it should have been obvious in measurement to a professional at quote stage. At latest, when installing large fixed panel, fitment was futile. We have tried to work together to find a solution to no avail. It will be removed. It requires a custom fitment, some installers cut on site here. Installer should have advised that initially at quote. I am not a screen expert...although after this experience am fast becoming one. In Oz, a tradesperson who fits screens doesn't even need to be a plumber. This is news to me.

Thanks for advice. Good to have independent opinion.

Yep, Australia it is! Where everyone wants to be right now. ;)

Agreed! Cubicle is too big for tray.

Tray was installed by plumber many years ago. Before my time. However, in Oz we generally operate where the installer comes out & measures for squareness, levels & sizing. I didn't nominate any size, that is installers responsibility. Like all customers, I want quality installation, meaning no gaps, water tight, etc. Unfortunately we have come unstuck as the installer has tried to get away with larger screen and make it fit, it should have been obvious in measurement to a professional at quote stage. At latest, when installing large fixed panel, fitment was futile. We have tried to work together to find a solution to no avail. It will be removed. It requires a custom fitment, some installers cut on site here. Installer should have advised that initially at quote. I am not a screen expert...although after this experience am fast becoming one. In Oz, a tradesperson who fits screens doesn't even need to be a plumber. This is news to me.

Thanks for advice. Good to have independent opinion.

I agree with you, he's the experienced one and if he bought the cubicle, then he holds all responsibly

Ultimately I would have expected a professional installer to have dry fitted it, spotted and then pointed out the issues with the enclosure to you and advised what option there were, if any.

Certainly the enclosure looks to too large for the tray footprint, due to the tray being embedded into the wall as suggested or tiles put on top of tiles and it isn't allowing any of the adjustment to be applied and to get the side panel to sit flat it would be hanging off the edge of the tray.

The tray and enclosure should have been carefully measured. If they supplied it and then fitted it like that then it's for then to sort it.

The tray and enclosure should have been carefully measured. If they supplied it and then fitted it like that then it's for then to sort it.

Or walk away with tail between their legs....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back