lay bocks for shower tray so shower trap can be connected
mix sand and cement
put sand and cement on blocks
place shower tray on sand cement
push shower tray down till level
and gives stronger finsh than legs you get
and make sure your blocks you buy are smillar size to plastic coverings

Sponsored Links
Have you got the instructions for the tray? Most need to be 'bedded' on screed or adhesive. Gets them level and supports them.

instructions are with the plumber, looks like the tray was layed with mastick? is this acceptable?

I agree that its important to have the water drain towards the waste. Not all trays help with that as some dont have any built in slope.

Part of the problem is that in a practical situation there are usually two slopes on the floor and similar or opposing slopes on the walls.

It needs a lot of experience and care to do the best in any particular situation.

I am sure some plumbers take loads of care with levelling the tray only to find the walls are well out of true.

When fitting rads I even out the slopes to give the best visual effect.

Boilers are not affected by small slopes and I usually align them to the nearest vertical reference as that gives the best visual effect.

Tony

the tray has got a built in slope towards the waste. the edge of the tray which the screen sits on is fairly flat and with the tray running out the water runs back towards the screen and door ?

Sponsored Links
No. Should be laid on mortar or floor tile adhesive in most cases. Flexible silicon is the complete antithesis of what's needed.

Some say that forget nails is OK - personally I've ever adhered to that line of thought :rolleyes:

I agree that its important to have the water drain towards the waste. Not all trays help with that as some dont have any built in slope.
which is why it's absolutely imperative to have the tray flat.

I am sure some plumbers take loads of care with levelling the tray only to find the walls are well out of true.
this isn't as important as getting the tray flat.

When fitting rads I even out the slopes to give the best visual effect.
Bit like the best visual effect of a shower tray being that it's level and there's not a load of silicon squirted all over the place

Boilers are not affected by small slopes and I usually align them to the nearest vertical reference as that gives the best visual effect.

Tony
I'm not going to argue with you on this one Tony, but shower trays and associated doors are affected by how flat the tray is. Think I've made my point now ;)

thanks. i will take this up with the plumber. i will ask him to get the tray level. can this be done without taking it out i.e. can you pack the corner where it runs out in any way ?

can the plumber say no at all ? at the end of the day i have not paid him for any of the work ?

If you pack one corner up you run the risk of it cracking on the stress points in the future.

Have you actually put a level on the tray to ensure that it's not the floor and walls that are out making the tray look unlevel.

If you pack one corner up you run the risk of it cracking on the stress points in the future.

Have you actually put a level on the tray to ensure that it's not the floor and walls that are out making the tray look unlevel.

hi, yes i have put two differant spirit levels on the tray and they both say the same, it is not level. the floor boards themself do not run level, but i can accept that in a 1930's house. the tray and the ply it sits on should be level irregardless of the floor.

again the walls are slightly out, but that is why shower enclosures have adjustable edges so that you can compensate. the shower screen and door are absolutely plumb square, but because the tray runs down, this has created the gap between the bottom of the screen and the tray. i could ask for the screen to sit on the tray, but because the tray runs out this will make the screen unlevel and not sit right with the door. thanks

can the plumber say no at all ? at the end of the day i have not paid him for any of the work ?
Of course he can say no - in which case you make it clear that you will not pay him for his work and will invoice him for any damages made during the process of repairing his shoddy work.

Forky, dont 'fork' out until you are happy. The fact that you are not happy is obvious, because you are asking on this site.

Don't go in all guns blazing, but you have to stop the plumber from finishing the job in this unsatisfactory state. Don't make any kind of threats, just explain the situation and what you need doing. You now have the knowledge to know how the job should be completed.

The tray needs to be level and the tiling upright and square to the tray for the door to fit properly.

HTH

The tray needs taking out and refitting correctly, there's no getting around that, and yes this may well mean that some or all of the tiling needs redoing, as has already been said simply packing a corner will not suffice.

Who supplied the tray? Have you checked it for level at the front, back, and both sides? Cheap low quality trays are not always flat! If there'd a discrepancy in the slope between the two sides and/or the front and back, this may well explain why it's not been fitted flat - the plumber may have only checked two sides, which could be level, and not all four. Just a thought... and if you've supplied the tray and the tray itself isn't flat I suspect your plumber may baulk at the idea of having to correct the problem in his own time. I personally have asked customers to go buy a flat tray in the past where I've been asked to fit a skewed one bought cheaply from a shed.

The tray needs taking out and refitting correctly, there's no getting around that, and yes this may well mean that some or all of the tiling needs redoing, as has already been said simply packing a corner will not suffice.

Who supplied the tray? Have you checked it for level at the front, back, and both sides? Cheap low quality trays are not always flat! If there'd a discrepancy in the slope between the two sides and/or the front and back, this may well explain why it's not been fitted flat - the plumber may have only checked two sides, which could be level, and not all four. Just a thought... and if you've supplied the tray and the tray itself isn't flat I suspect your plumber may baulk at the idea of having to correct the problem in his own time. I personally have asked customers to go buy a flat tray in the past where I've been asked to fit a skewed one bought cheaply from a shed.

the tray was supplied with the enclosure and is from Aqata. which I think are slightly better than other makers of shower enclosures ?!

the plumber has made a comment that the tray is not fitted level?!?!?!?

I'm installing a customer supplied tray next week. I've already replaced the dodgy floorboards underneath with an 18mm layer of ply. I was going to cut a 25mm layer of ply to fit under the tray area. Then bed the tray onto this with about the same amount again of dry mortar. I was told this is the proper way to install a tray.

Incidently, the tiler who I respect fully, said to just set the tray on a bed of silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back