Shower tray advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Would really appreciate some advice please.
Currently refurbing my en suite, due to stack pipe and joists my only option is to fit a raised shower tray for my 900x 900 shower enclosure so was looking at one with adjustable legs. there will be two sides which need the legs concealing. Can anyone please suggest a decent make tray preferably with sides which attach to the legs similar to a kitchen base unit.
One other question would all shower trays allow enough room for the shower enclosure to be fitted if the tray is sealed to the plasterboard first then tiled on top of the tray, my tiles are 9mm thick.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but have you considered putting your tray on a timber frame, rather than using the legs.....its a bit more stable!
I use 4"x 2" pressure treated timber for this, and instead of using plasterboard its Aquapanel for me.
Mira Flight trays are excellent, and come with a quality waste......the cubicles have enough adjustment to install the way you say, but its not a bad move to construct it first - minus the door.
John :)

As per burnerman and I use classi seal behind the tiles onto the tray.

Thanks for the advice, I will be using moisture resistant panels from buildbase. Interested to know how you make your timber frame would it enable you to access the waste if necessary? And do you tile directly onto the timber base to finish the aesthetics or use plastic?

Sponsored Links
The last tray I did was lifted up on a 3" x 2" (on end) frame which allowed me to at least look at the drain for a week or so after installation, just to make sure there were no drips! Timber battens across the frame width gives good support and I made it sized to incorporate the edging material.
On this project I covered the gap with white plastic from B&Q (fixed with silicone) but I've also used floor laminate too.....depends on what's wanted.
Always use solvent welded drain (including outside) as its more reliable than push fit and isn't affected by UV light outside. Its not usually necessary to access the drain from under the tray (famous last words :eek:) as it can be degunged from above.
Do get the tray completely level.....any fall is incorporated in the tray design. One slight grumble from 'er indoors was the Mira Flight tray has ribs moulded on its surface that hurt her feet - but she's only mentioned it once.
John :)

Hi all and thank you for the advice.
The classi seal looks interesting. Can anyone recommend a good quality silicone for bonding the shower tray to the aqua panels.

Dow Corning for me everytime.

Another one to look at is Sealux Trimlux, I recommend these to customers, used it a few time and it's excellent, not had a complaint about discolouring yet and bridges gaps nicely. Their own silicone is also excellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back