Shower Tray Movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refurbing my en-suite and am at the stage where I need to fit the shower tray. They tray I'm using is an ABS acrylic capped stone resin 900 x 800 with riser kit from Victoria Plumb.

The riser kit comes with 8 adjustable legs that are attached directly to the base of the tray with adhesive foam pads. The underside of the tray has 5 machined circular flat spots for attaching the legs to (one in each corner and one in the middle). The kit is obviously made to fit several different size shower trays which is why there are more than 5 legs).

When I first trial fitted the tray with 5 legs I was not happy with the amount of flex / movement so I added the remaining 3 legs and moved the centre leg so I now have one in each corner and 4 in the middle. This has reduced the movement / flex but there is still a small amount of movement when I stand on the tray and shifting position, particularly when standing near the front corner of the tray.

The tray is positioned in the corner of the room so it buts up to 2 wall surfaces. When I fit it permamanently I will run a bead of silicone sealer / adhesive between the wall and shower tray to help stabilise it.

The floor is standard 18mm chip board covered with 6mm No More Ply sheets.

My question is ..... how much movement is expected/reasonable to expect at this stage? Is it normal for there to be a small amount of movement or should there be no movement at all? If I the latter, what is the best way to eliminate all movement with this type of tray? For example, should I remove the legs and attach some 18mm WBP ply to the base of the tray and then re-attach the legs to try to reduce any flex? Should I attach a sheet of ply to the floor on top of the cement board? Should I put some adhesive under the feet? Or should I just stop worrying and fit it as it is?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Make a timber frame (screwed down) with ply on top then silicone the tray to the ply.
The silicone around the tray will help but sling the legs if you are not happy.

Use a band of Classi seal round the shower tray and you'll have no problems IF you haven't tiled yet

There should be zero movement. A timber frame would be better than plastic legs

Sponsored Links
I'm certainly tempted to sling the legs and build a frame, although that means I will also have to sling the plastic enclosure / kick panels and source somthing else, as they attach to the legs with supplied brackets.

The movement is probably only a mill or two (when I stand near the front corner the rear corner lifts very slightly). Would a timber frame completely eliminate even very small amounts of movement like this?

Sling the legs, construct a timber frame and get it perfectly level.
Then, bed the tray down with a heavy bed of silicone. On mine, I covered the frame over with an oak plinth - and used screws so I could access the drain if need be.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back