Advice re plumber and shower tray not being level

the plumber has made a comment that the tray is not fitted level?!?!?!?

Sorry missed where you said that before, well if he's admitted he's not fitted it level then he's a prat, but nevertheless should be given the opportunity to redeem himself in his own time and at his own expense.

Sponsored Links
Hold on - op, exactly who did fit the tray? The plumber, the tiler, you or someone else?

Hold on - op, exactly who did fit the tray? The plumber, the tiler, you or someone else?

the plumber who was recommended by the bathroom supliers fitted the tray, someone else tiled, and the plumber is trying to now fit the enclosure. i am just the poor sod on the receiving end and wishing had done it my self !!!

Did you try the level across the top of the tray in all directions and diagonally. Trying a level in the bottom of a tray will not work as there is a built in run.
It could be that the walls are not square with the floor? They rarely are. Check the walls too.

The problem with a lot of screens now is that they have little or no adjustment on them
If the front of the cubicle is lifted by 5mm and is? level, it only takes the walls to be out by 10mm in the height of the screen if there is no adjustment.

When you say a low profile tray i presume you mean a cast stone tray fitted directly to the floor. If the tray is out a bit and you can't live with a 5mm bead of silicon (you will have about 3mm anyway) the bottom row of tiles will have to come off, the tray removed and bedded into a weak mortar mix and leveled then re-tiled.

A lot of work for a couple of mm but your call.

Incidently, the tiler who I respect fully, said to just set the tray on a bed of silicone.

Not recommended. Use a bed of weak mortar. Not dry mix.

Sponsored Links
the shower tray has an internal fall towards the waste. i have put my level across the front (where door is) and side (where screen is) and the corner needs lifting up. the tray is laid onto ply which is fixed to the floor boards. the floor naturaly runs out (30s house) and the fitter has not botherd to compensate for this.

i could live with the extra silicone for less hassle, but for peace of mind i can not live with the water running back towards the door on the top of the tray.

The water is going to be on the top of the tray anyway and is not really going to run anywhere at that amount of slope.
Have you tried running some water in the tray to see if it drains completely or pools near the door side?
Most solid trays must be laid in a weak mortar mix not just to compensate for uneven floors but also to support the bottom of the tray over its entire area.
If any problem arose with the tray, if this is not done most manufacturers will not honour the guarantee.

Whatever the result you are paying for it so you decide.

Btw most levels are rarely true especially if they have been kicked about the back of a van for a year (or 5). Get him to check it before it gets relaid off level again.

thanks tamz.

i have tried the water test and yes it does sit by the door and not run back into the tray. am worried if it is left as it is that over time water constantly sitting by the door and glass will have an adverse affect.

i have used two levels to test the tray, as i am aware of levels being out, and they both read the same. in fact the tray falls the same way of the floor

cheers

Forky, is the tray three sided (quadrant type) or square/rectangular?

Whatever, if the two sides being tiled are horizontal and tiled correctly. I have had to fit many (supplied by others) where the casting is not quite correct and the blasted thing is 'twisted' - ie no amount of re-levelling will bring the exposed 'under the enclosure' side(s) horizontal.....

Get a lot of this with acrylic baths too - same principle applies.

As Tony (agile) notes, 3-5mm out of line is nuffink unusual - sorry 'bout that.

Oh, and don't get me started about how difficult and time consuming (complete with laughable translations into INGERLISH and thumbnail illustrations, missing screw packs...... ) shower enclosures are to get right.....
DH

YGWYPF

If the water is pooling you have really no choice.
Get it out and relaid properly with the method as i said earlier. Shame when the job is nearly completed but he'll learn by his mistake at his cost and your inconvenience.

That's whats wrong nowadays, you just can't get the staff :LOL:

As dreadnought says

I have had to fit many (supplied by others) where the casting is not quite correct and the blasted thing is 'twisted' - ie no amount of re-levelling will bring the exposed 'under the enclosure' side(s) horizontal.....

Cheap chinese and eastern european junk sold at inflated prices :LOL:

and

Oh, and don't get me started about how difficult and time consuming (complete with laughable translations into INGERLISH and thumbnail illustrations, missing screw packs...... ) shower enclosures are to get right.....
DH
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In this case though as the water is pooling in the bottom of the tray it's got to come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back