Shower tray up to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If fitting a shower tray on legs. Up to plasterboarded walls. One dot and dab, the other a stud wall. Would you usually fit the tray flush to the plasterboard or cut the plasterboard where the tray sits so sits in the wall. It's going to get panelled with 10mm panels after. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks no upstand no. So just silicone the tray to the plasterboard. Then fit the paneling directly to the tray then silicone afterwards?

Sponsored Links
Yup, +1 .... if you sink it in under the board then you may have a tight squeeze fitting the enclosure, that and the board gives you something to seal up against.

As I always suggest, if it's plasterboard walls then tank the space, if you don't you may live to regret it.

It's moisture resistant board I wasn't looking at tanking but would a pva mix be ok to seal the boards? Conserned water could get behind and draw the paper front off the boards?

PVA is water based, any condensation/water gets behind then anything attached to it will fall off.

PVA is sometimes used as a sizing agent on plasterboard prior to plastering to stop the plaster drying out too quickly but even then it's not ideal.

You need to waterproof the plasterboard and that needs a tanking medium to do it properly. It's not a huge job in the grand scheme of things.

I'd tank it, and not use plasterboard, just to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back