Securing shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've done loads of searches about securing a stone shower tray, I'm fine using whatever the MI say underneath cement mix/sealant etc, but once in position I'm assuming there could still be slight movement, I also read sealing to walls using 785. My concern is that the corner the shower is to be fitted to is stud walls, I'm going to tank the plasterboard but would sealant between the tray and tanking/plasterboard still be ok and secure enough to prevent any movement.
Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Once these cast resin trays are down, John, then thats it.....follow the MI's and all will be well - just ensure its level and the drainage is attended to before you drop it down.
I would recommend Aquapanel rather than plasterboard though.....it doesn't deteriorate with wet and takes tiles perfectly.
John :)

Thanks for that, I just wanted to be sure as I can that I'll be stopping movement
I have read conflicting reports but most seemed to think that if tanking, then plasterboard would be more than adequate, I'll do some more searching as I'm still sourcing all the parts.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Once these cast resin trays are down, John, then thats it.....follow the MI's and all will be well - just ensure its level and the drainage is attended to before you drop it down.
I would recommend Aquapanel rather than plasterboard though.....it doesn't deteriorate with wet and takes tiles perfectly.
John :)

As Burnerman says. For extra protection I always slap on a ring of silicone seal around the edges, before I bed it into it's final resting place.

As an add on question to this......
Securing a shower enclosure to stud walls will probably end up in me missing securing to studs themselves, I'm assuming trying to secure just through tile and plasterboard is a no no?
I'm thinking once I strip off the tiles that are already on the walls, and the plasterboard isn't too messed up I can just tank and retile, or would it be best to remove plasterboard and mark up and fix wood cross pieces where it's needed to secure the enclosure, then new boarding then tank and tile.
Thanks

Personally I always prefer to fix into wood rather than plasterboard and so would do the wall surgery myself, especially if there is a lot of leverage due to a swinging door. Having said that, the screws for the average shower enclosure aren't massive, and usually the instructions tell you to glue the aluminium uprights to the tiles with silicone anyway, so you would probably get away with it as long as the tiles are firm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back