shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly to install a shower tray in place of a bath tub and reading various searched previous topics, I have a question following on from this one:-

When using a frame as described above to support the tray using 18mmm ply and 3" x 2" timber and then having a layer of cement to support the underside of the tray on top of the 18mm ply.

Has the actual frame have to be secured or attached to the floor (Bathroom - T&G Chipboard) to prevent movement.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Clf-Gas

Would it enough by gluing and screwing through the 3 x 2 at an angle to the Floor or counter bore and screw vertical to the floor under the ply. ??

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Construct the frame first and get it dead level, then fix it to the floor.

It can't be too rigid.

And there was me thinking that nobody was paying attention. ;)

I've a problem,

My shower enclosure and tray arrived today, but the tray has adjustable feet on the underside (5 in total).

As I'm doing a raised base for this anyhow as already above. So I take it I can't set it in a bed of cement to secure it as the center is some 70mm above the base standing on its feet.

The supplier say's to "Seal the base edge to the wall, to provide a water tight seal and add rigidity."

Surely I would need more than this to stop any movement.

Any tips please ????

utterlydiy said:
So I take it I can't set it in a bed of cement to secure it as the center is some 70mm above the base standing on its feet.
This type of tray isn't intended to be bedded on a lay of mortar.

The supplier say's to "Seal the base edge to the wall, to provide a water tight seal and add rigidity."
That's good advice.

I'm not sure why you think that. Is there some reason for you to expect a lack of rigidity?

Any tips please ????
You should follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. If the feet have screw holes in then you should screw the feet to the flooring (or platform, or whatever).

Softus said:
I'm not sure why you think that. Is there some reason for you to expect a lack of rigidity?
I was following advice from above.

Softus said:
Any tips please ????
You should follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. If the feet have screw holes in then you should screw the feet to the flooring (or platform, or whatever).
The feet have no holes and are of a plastic type approx. 50mm dia.

thanks again

With feet that wide I'd be tempted to drill holes in them and screw them down. You should level the tray as best you can, first, and then level it again after screwing down the feet.

The advice regarding building a platform was (on my part) given on the understanding that you were installing a tray suitable for placing on a platform, i.e. a stone resin or ceramic tray. The ones with legs are intended to stand directly on the floor.

Do you have your heart on having a platform, or was it just that you thought it was the right thing to do?

From the searches I carried out about installing shower trays.

Most suggested having a platform to sit the tray on, because of access to the Trap etc should there be a problem. In my case I know the joists go in my favour (along the with the drain pipe). And maybe the easiest way to install etc. without ripping the floors etc. in replacing a bath.

If the tray has feet then you don't need to build a platform in order to provide access to the trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back