Shower trap near hot pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Some of you may remember a previous thread where i was trying to fit a show tray. I have done this but had to fit the shower trap below the floor borads. the problem is its sat directly above 2 pipes that come off the boiler downstairs and they get very hot. I am concerned with how this will affect the trap (ie - seals prematurely perishing etc). Is there anything i can place between the 2 to stop the heat transfer or am i being dramatic?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
What's the size of the gap between the heating pipes and the trap?

Try insulating the pipes with a length of foam pipe lagging...if there is enough room between pipes and trap.

Sponsored Links
bit of expanded polystyrene eg ceiling tile or handy piece of packaging??

Cheers for the replys. The gap is about half an inch at the most!
I'll try some lagging!

You should be able to fit a piece of 10mm foil-backed plasterboard in the gap.

If you can arrange it so that the foil isn't touching the copper pipes, then it will act as a heat reflector, and the plasterboard behind it will act as in insulator.

Plumbers heat proof mat :idea: I`ll post you my old Asbestos one :eek: ;)

Ah - I've just remembered that I bought some rigid heat proof board from my local plumbers' merchant. I used it above a heat lamp inside a vivarium - it's the modern day equivalent of asbestos, and about 4-5mm thick, so ideal for your problem.

This cost me about a fiver for something like a square yard of stuff - I have spare if you can't find it anywere.

Thanks chaps great help!

Softus - i'll check that out. I'll have a look in town tomorrow for some, if not i'll give you a shout mate!

[/b]Nige F[/b] - sheesh, asbestos mat! I'll give that to the mother-in-law!

Thanks again

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back