SHOWER TRAP PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a leak from shower into kitchen. Investigated and found that the shower trap has 'dropped' because of old sealant failing.

The sealant around the plug has disintegrated and the waste trap can be moved up and down.

Question : Could I just try and use sealant to 'stick' it back up or am I going to have to replace the whole shower trap so ripping up the new floor (AAAGGHH!!!) ? :(

Any ideas please

PS Is replacing a shower trap a DIY job or should it be done by a pro ?

PS. The shower trap has a detachable centre part so waste hairs and bits can be removed. (good idea but through the years has loosened all the sealant !!!)

PPS - is there anything in the plumbing world that sticks rubber to the stone resin (like superglue ?)

thanks

please note forum rule 5, and item g

your post has been edited

Sponsored Links
Quite straightforward.

Buy a brand new one (less than a £5) and put a little silicone if you want around the tray hole.

Take the old one with you to get the correct size. :D

I could fit a new one but that would mean taking up the floor (brand new !!)

Any other way of doing it ?

Sponsored Links
docburgess said:
The shower trap has 'dropped' because of old sealant failing.

Sounds more like it wasn't screwed to the tray properly in the first place.

If you try a repair with a epoxy or similar compound, it will look naff and will probably fail. :(

Do it properly and you will only need to do it once ;)

It wasn't screwed to the tray atall !!!!!

You're correct though, I could just botch it and have to fix it again in the near future.

Will attempt a replacement repair and just live with the fact that my new floor is going to have to come up !!!

Let you know how it goes

Cheers :)

If you'd rather not pull the floor back up and don't mind fixing a hole in your Kitchen ceiling then you could replace it from below by chopping into the Kitchen ceiling.

You'd need someone to help hold the trap from above.

All sorted. Bought a new trap. Pulled part of the floor up. Fixed it !!!!

:D :D :D

Well chuffed !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back