Shower Tray, Bonded Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

As per my previous posts I’ve been tasked with install my mother-in-laws bathroom.

They’ve purchased a bungalow and it has a concrete floor, I don’t fancy chiseling out the floor and potentially damaging the damp proofing so I’m going to raise the tray up to fit the waste, I’ll use 4x2 and some marine ply, first off, is this going to be ok or does it need cement too? The tray is made from stone resin and It says to use feet but I don’t think that’s good enough, am I wrong?

Also, as it’s a bungalow the pipes that currently feed the H&C to the bath are bonded, I’m going to remove these pipes as they’re not needed anymore and annoyingly sit just inside where the shower tray will sit. Is this ok to remove those if I get an electrician to fit some more?

Sponsored Links
Creating a plinth and topping it with 18mm Ply or OSB3 is fine, for longevity, get a tanking kit and waterproof it all before the tray goes down. You will need to secure the base frame to the floor/wall levelling it out as you go, so a good drill, masonry bits and plugs/screws will be needed.

Stone resin trays can be set down onto the plinth using lots of different types of adhesives, from sand and cement > tile adhesive > silicone adhesives and bonding polymers. I use silicone adhesive for the base, then good quality silicone sealants all the way around the bottom edges and where it sits against the wall, especially at the corners.

I use silicone adhesive for the base, then good quality silicone sealants all the way around the bottom edges and where it sits against the wall, especially at the corners.
So something like no more nails? I guess a waterproof one would be better?

Do you have any advice on the bonded pipes?

To add to my points above, I’m removing an old electric shower and adding a normal shower with a recessed valve.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back