Shower tray cracked around waste.

Is it placcie or resin? The silicon on the waste line is rubbish, if the tray was bedded on silicon thats another matter.
Looks like weight on the waste has caused the cracking, tricky bit to support cos of the trap. Unless there's a massive cutout for the trap?
It's plastic.

Sponsored Links
Yup, agree with everyone else, no way that silicone is the culprit there, even if the tray was sitting on silicone it wouldn't cause that. That been weight on the waste area by the looks of it and the waste hole wasn't reinforced properly and has given way or the trap/waste pipe has been stressing a weak waste area.

It's definitely a cop out but it's indicative of, IMO, really poor customer service on the side of the manufacturer. When a warranty call is required and the MI's weren't followed and it's clearly caused the damage then fair enough but this time they've used it to fall back on, when it looks like a defect in the tray that could have caused it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, il get my manager to complain. Do you think there's much chance of them taking responsibility?

If they can show you in their MI's, for that tray when it was installed, that silicone should not be used as it could cause an issue/damage with the tray due to some kind of chemical interaction, then there's not a lot you can do unfortunately.

If they can't then it can be argued that it's their responsibility but it'll probably be handbags at dawn trying to get them to admit it.

I have fit this type of pod before and used silicone on the top. These are 4 to 5 years old now and it's never caused an issue. Just this one that was installed less then a year ago by a colleague.

Yes it was supplied with the pod

Tell them thats the problem then, had the flange fitted properly over the whole outlet, ( the weakest part of the tray) the torque when tightened up would be evenly applied to the whole outlet and would never had cracked in the first place.

Last edited:
I've never heard of silicone corroding/reacting with plastic. Has anyone?

No. I don't think that you'll get anywhere by saying "the instructions do not mention that silicone should not be used" though. The instructions should tell you what to do, not what not to do.

Silicone affecting plastic???
Write an email to technical dpt at silicone manufacturer and let them have a very good laugh about it.
No way a silicone can affect plastic; it doesn't even affect cling film, how on earth would it crack a shower tray???

looks like a combination of cheap junk and wrong waste. the top of the waste should fit neatly in the recess for it . it’s too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back