Shower Tray Installation Failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware this topic has been covered numerous times on this forum, and I've probably read a great number of the threads but still seem to be failing. I've described in detail below what I've done, I'm hoping someone will be able to identify where I've been going wrong.

New upstairs bathroom. 10" joists at 400mm centers, with additional noggins added around the edge of the shower tray area. 25mm marine play base, screwed down to the joists (and noggins around the edges). Generous coat of PVA. Motor mix of 5 building sand to 1 cement (brand new bag). Various degrees of wetness of mix attempted. Laid to approx 15mm thickness and leveled with a great degree of care. The shower tray its self is ABS capped expanded polymer, 1400x900mm, laid directly onto the motor and tapped down. Pad is made a little wider (around 100mm) than the tray and then cut back once it's set-up for a few hours.

I've attempted the same method 3 times now, each time to the same failed result. The edges of the tray end up with a gap of around 5mm between the motor, thus allowing noticeable flex in the tray. Certainly more flex than I'm willing to accept.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I'm going wrong? Whilst I could attempt with a stone tray (I know from previous reading a lot of people don't rate the lightweight trays), or even employ someone with some more experience, I'm fairly determined to understand my failures, learn from them and succeed. I'm assuming it's not impossible to install this shower tray. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So the mortar is shrinking 5mm? Seems unlikely on a 15mm need, but
All mortar shrinks as it dries out and goes off.
To minimise shrinkage add minimum water and cement so just make it damp rather than workable wet mix, but you can use plasticiser, and use larger aggregate. Then keep the mix wet for as long as possibleie days, perhaps a plastic sheet under to stop it aoaking into the wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back