Shower tray not draining well - but can be temporally fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

I'm confused (doesn't take much).

Got a new shower room in my loft conversion and the tray fills up. It doesn't over flow because once it gets to a certain depth the weight of the water seems to increase the flow down the waste.

If I do a short sharp plunge on the waste, the flow suddenly increases, the water drains away and all is fine for the rest of the shower.

Then, gradually, over a day, the problem comes back.

So, this can't be the size of the pipe as after a plunge it's fine, so the capacity must be there.

Any idea what the issue could be?

My ideas are:

1. air lock
2. there is some kind of sludge in the pipe - when I plunge it's dispersed allowing better flow but over time settles back to the lowest point and restricts the pip.

These are probably both a load of rubbish but that's where I thought you guys may be able to help!

Thanks a lot in advance :D

Sponsored Links
My guess would be insufficient (or maybe no) fall on the shower waste. Who installed it? If pro's then get them back to sort it.

Does it improve if you take the cover out of the plughole? I have the same kind of issue, it drains fine without the cover but very slow with it.

Thanks for your replies.

It is a bit better with the cover off, but only marginally.

If it's the fall angle, how come a swift plung totally fixes it for the remainder of the shower?

It was pro fitted, loft conversion company. I suppose I'll have to get them back in and take the tray up. Just when I thought the mess from the conversion was over...... :)

Sponsored Links
I can only think it's a badly fitted waste, quick plunge may be enough to cause the drain to start siphoning, so it's then actually sucking the water out rather than it draining naturally by gravity.

I can only think it's a badly fitted waste, quick plunge may be enough to cause the drain to start siphoning, so it's then actually sucking the water out rather than it draining naturally by gravity.

Yeah, siphon, I did think of that but couldn't get it clear in my mind as I don't know the run of the pipes. I think that may be the most likely situation though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back